Friday, December 09, 2005

Normally I'm at Work Right Now...

I did something that I had never done tonight: I took VTO at work. VTO stands for voluntary time off which, in the words of the Tomemaster, means you get to "go home early without getting fired or quitting." It was offered for our team last night and Tory and I were the only ones to stay the entire night. Our team didn't have a lot to do tonight either and I had some unplanned paid time off left, so I opted to use it. I left at 8:00 which gave me time to hit Toys-R-Us and the mall to do some shopping. If I hadn't done it tonight, Maia and I would have been braving the crowds tomorrow, a prospect that held absolutely no appeal for me. Saturday December mall shopping with a one year old holds as much appeal as lap swimming in a cesspool for me.

Amy's in bed already, suffering through the aftereffects of a migraine and preparing to do a room makeover for someone from the church tomorrow. Between the room makeover, Christmas program and other factors, she was prime pickings for a migraine. I surprised her by coming home early and giving her a neck rub.

Our Christmas card is just about ready to go out, but I think we may have to take it to Kinko's since our printer doesn't seem to want to get the job done. Amy did a great job with it and we can't wait to get it out, but it may take a few more days. Other than the printer, we're still loving the Mac Mini. I keep hoping for a little more time to dig into the Garage Band deal with my M-Audio input, but there always seem to be these people here which makes it a little hard to record.

Karen's funeral was held today at Hanfield. Kyle was kind enough to let me know that what I wrote the other day was shared there. It was a huge blessing to know that we got to be a part of it even though we're a thousand miles away. I keep finding tears of sorrow turning to tears of joy and back again when I think about Karen. It's amazing to me how easily they mingle, joining and dancing together, becoming one expression that speaks of countless emotions. I miss her, but have an unspeakable joy for her that words on a page (or a screen) could never hope to capture. I grieve more for us than for her.

I feel like I had a special relationship with Karen, but I suppose anyone that ever knew her felt the same way.

No comments: