Friday, December 02, 2005

Music Rant

Okay, I'll keep it civil, so it's not too ranty, but I was listening to the latest CD from an artist that has become a CCM (Contemporary Christian Music for those keeping score at home) darling over the last few years and was really disappointed and bothered by what I was hearing.

I had picked up his first recording a few years ago and loved it (still do), was less impressed with release number 2 and I've had this one for several months but it's probably only the third or fourth time I've listened to it. I decided to give it another go while I worked last night.

By about the fourth track, I was beginning to find myself put out with the cliche lyrics, unoriginal rhymes and repetitive nature of the themes in the songs.

The predominant theme was "laying down my pride" and things of that nature. I am totally on board with the necessity of this in the Christian walk, but by about the fifth song with this idea as the centerpiece I began to find myself wondering when this kind of focus on "my humility" begins to become a bit self-obsessive and counterproductive. I began to wonder if the focus for the listener would become a higher esteem of God or a heightened focus on self.

I'm sure I'll be pondering that for a bit yet. That aside, the album was weak and will be finding its way to half.com in the next few days.

No comments: