Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Epitaph for a Saint


Karen Stair, friend and former coworker at Hanfield UMC died last night. The following is the best way I know how to honor her:

Dear Karen,

I've thought about you often over the last six months as our surroundings turned from Indiana to South Dakota and the miles brought only physical separation. Our hearts were united by God as we celebrated, grieved, labored, prayed and dreamed for a season together. The distance between us has only helped me realize more strongly how closely bonded we are through the unity of the Spirit that binds us together in love.

Now you're gone at 62; taken too young for those of us who know how badly you are needed here, but not taken soon enough considering how desperately you longed to be with Jesus. This world couldn't contain your spirit any more than your flesh could contain the Spirit inside you. You overflowed into the lives of everyone around you, pouring the very Spirit of God like fresh, spring rain.

The very thought of you makes me hunger for the word of God, that I might know Him as you have known Him. Like Moses, your face shown the glory of God because of your proximity to His presence making my eyes ache at the holiness of His reflection in yours.

I see you now, dancing the dance of the bride with the Groom who has waited so long to bring you home. I see you embraced by Jesus in the same enveloping, warm, complete embrace that you have given so freely to others. I see you at His side as He intercedes at the right hand of God.

I have never missed you more or felt closer to you. You are where I long to be and seeing you there makes it a more present reality. You continue to give me hope and encouragement as I chase this God we both so dearly love. I'm so thankful to know you and can't wait to see you again.

Your brother,

Matt

No comments: