Wednesday, December 14, 2005

The Chronicles of Narnia


It's truly a noteworthy event when we go to see a movie. Today we took Xander to see "Narnia." We've had this week on the calendar marked for months since first seeing the trailer for the movie back in May. Amy and I have read the books numerous times and Amy's been reading them with Xander as well. We had heard that it would be made, but feared it would be another, well meaning effort by Christian filmmakers who just couldn't pull it off. When we saw the trailer, those fears were dashed. Now the only question was whether it would live up to our expectations.

Things started a little bumpy when we got to the theater. Turns out this new theater doesn't take credit or debit cards. Ridiculous. How do you be a frontrunner in the entertainment industry without something that's become common at most fast food places? I was not pleased to have to use the ATM and apparently seemed put out enough so that the movie chick gave us Xander's ticket for free. Less than $10 for the three of us to see a movie, that put me in a better mood. We'll know to use Fandango before we go next time so we can pay without cash. Of course by the next time we actually go to a movie, it will probably be summer.

The movie itself was good. I'm not going to gush uncontrollably, but I thought it was a solid effort and a movie that I'll look forward to repeatedly viewing once the DVD is on my shelf. I thought the acting was fairly solid, especially for a movie that revolves around its younger stars. There were spots though where I felt like with a little more direction, the kids would have been capable of drawing more out of the characters.

The effects were good for the most part, but I couldn't help but wonder what it would have looked like if WETA or ILM had done all of the effects (ILM did lend a hand on some). After being inundated with snow the last few weeks, I kept finding myself really distracted by the studio snow that was everywhere through the first half of the movie that shared its color, and little else, with the real deal. Other effects were good, but not seamless to the point where you were able to pretend you were really seeing what you were seeing.

Probably the most distracting thing for me was the acting of the extras as they prepared for battle. During those scenes, I felt like I was witnessing a costume party instead of a gathering of troops. The extras were basically like dressed scenery and they seemed a bit awkward any time acting was required.

I thought their treatment of Aslan was solid. He looked good, sounded regal and was presented quite well. I am a bit curious as to why Jedi or Sith seem to get all of the primo lion voiceover work. Darth Vader in "The Lion King" and Qui-Gon Jinn as Aslan.

I have to agree with others that I've read in that I'm not sure about the viability of the entire Chronicles of Narnia series making it to the big screen owing to narrative flow and the fact that character turnover for some of the movies could throw audiences off the scent. But, if they decide they want to make a go of it, I'm hoping that they'll only improve in their ability to tell the story with ALL of the tools at hand. The story carried the day for this one, but the acting and effects are going to have to get better for the Chronicles to have staying power as a franchise.

No comments: