Wednesday, September 28, 2005

What a difference a year makes

Last year I...

-started this blog
-had just learned about the emerging church
-lived in Indiana
-played guitar more days than not
-was employed by a church
-had coffee often at Beatnik's
-saw my family about three times a year
-knew I'd be in vocational ministry for a long, long time

Now I...

-can barely update a blog when I have anything of substance to say
-am dying to dig into the emerging church
-live in South Dakota (which I swore I would never do)
-play guitar about twice a month (or so it seems)
-am employed by a financial institution
-have coffee often in the cafeteria at work (at least it's Starbucks)
-live within 90 minutes of my family
-wonder if I'll ever get a chance to do vocational ministry again

2 comments:

JGaroutte said...

Those are some major changes... how do you feel about them?... do you feel that by getting out of vocational ministry, you've turned your back on "God's Call" or that you're getting closer to it... Be encouraged! God doesn't look or judge by what we do... perhaps the vocational ministry God has called you to means remaining outside of the realm of a "Full-time salaried Church Gig"

notsilent1 said...

I'm still processing how I feel about the changes. I've always been a fairly laid back person when it comes to life situations, so it probably shouldn't come as a surprise that after each emotional spike, I come back to center and find some sense of peace in my surroundings. I may not be thrilled with how things are going, but I have a longer view of things that helps me keep perspective.

I find myself asking the same question about "calling" and vocational ministry. I have to keep reminding myself that God told me to do this and go back and revisit those moments along the way that He confirmed where we were to go. We get so conditioned in contemporary, American, evangelical Christianity to success being the validation of our every move that we forget how God refines us through trial, waiting and even failure. I don't know if I'll be successful in doing what I'm supposed to do (however that is measured). All I know is that I'm called to do it. I may right more about the vocational ministry side of it later.