Thursday, September 22, 2005

Connected Again

I'm finally able to write a post from our new digs in Sioux Falls. No time limits. No wondering who is trying to read over my shoulder. No more having to wait until business hours to write. It's a beautiful thing.

Today was an interesting day. I had a job interview before work today. I know, some of you are thinking, "Didn't you just get a job?" Yes I did. Shortly after starting the job I am in now, I found a listing for a teaching job in SF that would be fifth grade band at two elementary schools and assisting 6-8 grades at a middle school. Now others of you are thinking, "Haven't I heard you say, on numerous occasions, that you never wanted to teach." Let's just say I've had a change of heart.

A lot of my hesitations about teaching has been because I know how big a job middle school or high school (or both) can be. This situation peaked my interest because of the assisting nature and the fact that with fifth grade band, there is not a lot of extra duty to it. You don't have to deal with multiple ensembles, choosing music and all of that. You have some very basic, fundamental materials and work from there.

I was probably very lucky to get the interview in the first place. They had quite a few applicants and only four interviews for the position. The fact that I have very little classroom time (none as a lead teacher) made it kind of surprising to me that they called me in. I really enjoyed meeting the staff and being able to share my heart with them. I had opportunity to talk about how important guys like Keaton Whitehead and Ryan Fox have been to me as we've worked together in ministry and developed relationship outside of it. It won't come as a surprise to anyone who really knows me that they had to pass the kleenex to me when they gave me opportunity to talk about the guys I've mentored.

I don't know whether they'll take a chance on me or not. I hope they will. I'm really excited about the possibility as it would put me back in an area of giftedness that I have, would provide more time and financial resources for my family and would allow me the freedom to be available to volunteer in more areas at our church. I'm praying very hard and persistently that I will get this.

I was pretty pleased with how the interview went and am grateful for the opportunity to interview. Even if I don't get the job, it is a blessing to know that I was given every opportunity. I've been written off a lot this summer for positions, that I know I could have done, without even the courtesy of a rejection letter or any other correspondence. To get an interview means they at least thought enough of my background and ability to want to see how I stacked up with the other candidates. I've done all I can now. Time to wait.

No comments: