Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Late Night Listening

Even with sharing a ride, I still have the last 35 miles to drive on my own, plus a stop to gas up which pushes me to about 45-50 minutes of late night solo travel. I've been taking cd's with to pass the time (because nobody's purchased an iPod for me yet). Here's the latest that I've been listening to and some coming attractions:

"X&Y" by Coldplay
Yeah, I'm a little late to the game with this one, but I asked for it in June for Father's Day and Amy couldn't find it, so I had to wait until my birthday two weeks ago. I've been making up for lost time listening to it regularly on the road.

"The Everglow" by Mae
I love this disc! I picked up their album "Destination Beautiful" in the spring and fell in love with the band. I, again, put this one on my wishlist in June and was thrilled to get it for my birthday. Great guitar rock, this disc is a joy to listen to because of the creative harmonies, instrumentation and changes of meters throughout the project. "Someone Else's Arms" is a great track for late night driving with its repeated cries of "I just wanna wake up." Check out some stuff about this one at www.theeverglow.com.

Coming attractions:
I just got Switchfoot's newest, "Nothing is Sound", in the mail today and predict it will receive much play time for me over the next two weeks as I ingest it. I love Foreman's lyrics and consider him one of the better interviewees in rock music.

In two weeks comes one of my most anticipated releases of the year when David Crowder Band's "A Collision" finally hits. Crowder is such an odd dude (in a good way). I love his creativity and ability to blend accessible, congregationally friendly songs with eccentric, introspective songs ranging from simple worship to exuberant praise to deep lament all on one album without it feeling uneven. This band is one of the most creative, yet accessible, in the worship genre today. Making it even better is the fact that this band was doing worship before it was "the thing" and they'll be doing it after the fad in the marketplace has passed. I have already preordered my copy and would encourage you to do the same at www.davidcrowderband.com (especially since buying directly from the artist usually means more money in their pockets).

No comments: