Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Welcome to the Night Shift

Well, it's become obvious to me after one week of work that 2-3am is probably about the only time that I'll get to blog in the near future, so here I am. I've been getting home at about 2:00 and then tossing and turning until about 3-3:30, so I'm trying a new routine out. I can't promise that anything that I say at this time is going to be any more coherent or interesting than anything that I write at any other time, but we'll make due with what's presented to us.

One week on the job and I alternate between thinking that I don't mind it and that I hate it. Tonight leaned more toward the I hate it end of the scale until the last half hour. We had our first quiz over the training materials and I felt absolutely unable to navigate the system during the first half of the class. I've been doing alright with it, but I've been fighting a cold, went for a ride this morning and I am a morning person working an evening shift, so circumstances conspired against me tonight. I know things will come in time since we'll be repeating a lot of the same processes frequently in our work, so I'm not too worried.

Overall, the job is better than I had feared and the company is really great. I like the people on my team and have managed to find someone to share a ride with. Tory is from Menno (about 30 miles into my drive) and is a Pastor at an Assemblies of God church, a worship leader, guitar player and another person interested in the emergent movement in the church. He's probably about as much an Assemblies guy as I am a Methodist and I think we have more in common in our theology and philosophy than we have differences. I've enjoyed the conversations to and from work and he's certainly helped the time pass quickly.

The main drawback to the job is that it means I'm not able to serve on the worship team at church since they rehearse on a weeknight. It's important enough to me that I'll keep looking for other employment that will allow me to volunteer in that capacity. In the meantime, I'll run sound, video or do anything else that I can that works with my schedule and gifting.

We're hoping to have an address in Sioux Falls by the end of the week. We are looking at a duplex that we're hoping to rent while we wait for our hous in Indiana to sell. Amy's mom looked at it last week and the company seems to be willing to rent it to us for less than a one year lease which means we might be able to move into a house next spring if everything works out. That means that I'd leave for work around 3pm and be home by 12:30 instead of leaving at 1:20pm and getting home at 2am. Much more conducive to living a balanced life.

I hope to be able to write a little more frequently now that I've discovered the need to decompress a bit after I get home from work while everybody else is asleep. Hope I have something to say.

No comments: