Saturday, September 24, 2005

Still Waiting

I had hoped that I might hear about the teaching job by the end of the week, but so far, no news. Nobody told me exactly when I'd hear, but I know that the turnaround time on the job is pretty quick, so I figured I'd hear sooner rather than later.

I've put myself in the mindset that I won't get it. I don't have anything solid to base it off of, but I figure it's easier to practice rejection to cushion the blow of the real thing than to pin all my hopes on this one thing only to have them dashed on the rocks. If I get it, it will be a nice surprise this way.

I've finished another week of work where we are in week three of training. We've been doing a lot more "real work" along with our training time, so it's gone a little quicker this week. The stuff we do is part the simple following of procedures and part creative problem solving (which is a strength of mine) and will be fairly enjoyable if I don't get another job. The downsides of the job are still the schedule (3:30pm-midnight, M-F) and the pay. The schedule makes family life more difficult and makes it impossible to volunteer to do the things I'm really good at at church. The pay was an expected consequence of picking up and moving 1000 miles (or thereabouts) to start all over again. I really don't have anything to complain about, but the teaching job would fix both of those issues for me as well as put me back in touch with what I went to school for in the first place.

Amy and the kids got back from Indiana Thursday, so today (or yesterday depending on how you piece your days together. It's still Friday to me) we got some more things organized at our new place, played with the kids and prayed I'd get the teaching job (we're somewhat fixated around here).

I'm looking forward to a weekend of college football (Iowa/OSU and USD/UNO), catching up on season premiers (Lost and ER) and family. Four hours or so of time with my family in the last ten days has not been sufficient. I'm looking forward to getting things a little more settled around here.

No comments: