Tuesday, November 01, 2005

A Rather Painful Day

A good deal of today was spent with clenched teeth and bent over posture as an injury that I sustained yesterday decided to get worse before it gets better. I was helping Hal reset the sound system at the church on Sunday after a special service offsite that morning and slipped while trying to step from the floor to the stage (a three foot or so step). I came down hard on my left side on the edge of the stage. Hal asked me if I was alright and I told him I thought so. It was a stupid, clumsy thing to do and I knew there would be some pain from it for the next few days, but it wasn't too painful to stop helping at that point.

I was a little restless last night with the pain. I am usually a belly sleeper, but found that I could not sleep on my belly or left side last night. Every time I made a move, it caused a bit of pain.

When I got up, it was noticeably more painful. I kept thinking that it was just the day after effects of an injury and that it would probably be more stiff than painful. I was sadly mistaken. As the day progressed, the pain got worse. I chased ibuprofin with Tylenol and a little something to clean out the digestive track. It turns out that some of those muscles are vital to the success of everyday bodily functions and I required a little extra help from a bottle.

By the time lunch rolled around, every movement hurt. I started to consider whether I could work today or not. The verdict was still out when at 2:50 I could barely move without immense pain. I got myself ready and drove to work figuring I could at least start the shift and would probably leave early. Thankfully, the pain got better and by my dinner break, I was doing well enough to do some of those bodily things that I was unable to earlier in the day. I was able to do the full shift, and while I have some pain, it's nothing compared to what it was ten hours ago.

No comments: