Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Hell Freezes Over and So Does South Dakota

I startled several people at work last night by providing one of the signs of the apocalypse. I stayed for overtime. Eric, one of my teammates, reached down to touch the floor to see if hell had frozen over when I signed up for it last week. The main reason I had signed up was that Amy and the kids were planning on going to Sheldon last night for a jewelry party and a chance to hang out with cousins and grandparents. The weather turned, plans changed, they stayed home and I was left with a midnight-2am OT commitment. I was the only one on the team to stay, so I had the area all to myself. I got quite a bit done and it wasn't even an unpleasant experience. It also paid for part of Amy's birthday presents for next week.



The reason Amy's plans changed is that we got blasted by winter. I'm reminded of the part on "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" where the seasons of their journey are chronicled and it decides to skip a season all together. Friday I wore shorts. Yesterday it snowed fairly well into early afternoon, the wind picked up to over 40 mph out of the northwest and it was frigid. Today is only supposed to get to the mid-20's, but with the wind still howling it's going to feel a whole lot colder.

Welcome back to South Dakota.

No comments: