Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Chili Makes Me Miss People


Amy asked me to make a batch of chili today, so I'm tackling that while she has the unenviable task of hauling the kids to have pictures taken. She called for the appointment yesterday and they told her to come in at 10:15 this morning. After working 'til midnight and getting to sleep at 2am, I knew I wouldn't be up and functioning in time to go with, so instead I'm making chili and missing people.

The last chili I had was with Brent and Kathy last month while we were in Marion. They sent some "Williams" brand chili seasonings with and it has had the desired effect, I'm thinking about them while I cook. I also think of the times when the guys would get together for chili at Tim Lehrian's during Hanfield's women's retreat. I think of Scott, Bryon, Dave, James, Kent and others that partook in chili while we watched movies.

I think of all of Kent's experiments with chili recipes from his Marlboro chili recipe book (still not sure where one acquires it or if tobacco is one of the main ingredients). I think of the time when Kent was out of chili powder and called to see if I could drop some by on my way back out to the church even though the house wasn't exactly on the way.

I think of each setting and treasure them more than words can express and wonder how a batch of chili can dig so deep into the treasure chest of memory.

No comments: