Saturday, November 19, 2005

A Little Late Night Songwriting


It's been several months since I actually had an idea for a song that materialized into anything. I just finished working on something that's been churning for a few weeks now. The basic idea stayed the same during that time, but tonight was the first time that I actually sat down, guitar in hand to work through the idea a bit.

Of course, the entire family is asleep, making space to write a bit of a challenge (we're in the downstairs apartment of a two unit house). Imagine me sitting in the basement (just as cementy as a good basement should be), guitar in hand, working through ideas sitting on a vinyl chair left by a previous tenant. Not exactly the most inspiring space to work, but very fitting for the song.

The idea is that I see hurt and need all around me everyday, but I act like the people I see are a million miles away. I don't know if I don't act out of awkwardness, fear that I'll bring offense where I mean to help or what, but it's an idea that I woke with a few weeks ago and have been churning since.

This week has been a good one for me in terms of getting the creative juices flowing again. Not only is this song in the works, but I've got ideas for articles for different publications, potential workshop ideas and a strong desire to dig into the calling to artists that I've been feeling. I'm also wanting to revisit some other songs that I have written over the last few years to get them in demo mode to be able to distribute to friends at other churches that might be able to make some use of them.

I don't know what I'll actually have the time/opportunity/energy to do, but I've got to say that I'm feeling a bit more myself again.

No comments: