Saturday, November 05, 2005

An eventful day (and tomorrow's gonna be busier)

Had a great, long, frustrating, enjoyable day today. I took Xander to his first football game today to see the University of South Dakota vs. The University of North Dakota. USD is my alma mater and this was a chance to revisit the Dome, see the Marching Coyotes (Amy and I are former members) and see a game that would decide the North Central Conference champ in NCAA Division II.

The 'Yotes destroyed the Fighting Sioux and won their first conference title since 1978. It was a fun game to watch (if you're a USD fan) and I was glad that it got to be Xander's first. He enjoyed the great catches, kicks, blimp (inside the dome) and the scoreboard/jumbotron that showed airplanes dropping footballs that looked like bombs into the stadium every time USD scored (we got to see it a lot).

It was a great trip for me also since I got to see my prof, Rolf Olson, for the first time in a long time. Rolf was always somebody that I enjoyed being around and was an important player in getting us to Northern Colorado for our grad work as well. He always has an easy smile, gregarious personality and generous spirit. I'm hoping we'll have the chance to reconnect a little more now that I'm back in the area.

We got home about 6:30 or so and after a quick dinner, I was off to the church to reset some things, tweak some media files and make sure that everything is ready for tomorrow's services. Pastor Chip and Hal are both gone, so Amy and I are responsible for a lot in the service. The guest speaker, Tom Henderson, is someone that has pitched in at New Hope in the past as a worship leader and speaker and I'm looking forward to working with him tomorrow.

I was hoping that I might get home about 8:00 or 8:30. It turned out to be 10:45 after several technical glitches turned up. I'm usually pretty solid on trouble shooting systems (both sound and media), but this was equipment that I've never worked with and a newer version of Media Shout than I've worked with before, so the trouble shooting was a bit more complicated due to unfamiliarity. But, after 3.5 hours, everything seems to be a go for tomorrow.

I'm excited for tomorrow. I invited some friends from work to church to "see what I did in a former life." I'm hoping a few will make it. Later in the day, we get to go to Chuck E. Cheese for Xander's sixth birthday party (today was part one of our celebration, his actual birthday is Tuesday). It will be pretty much just family there since we still don't know too many other five/six year olds in Sioux Falls, but it should be fun.

By the time the day is done tomorrow, I may need a weekend to recover. Unfortunately, it's back to work at 3:30 on Monday. I do get Thursday off to play for a chapel service at the University of Sioux Falls, but I may just have to settle for rest wherever I can find it this week.

No comments: