Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Our Weekend

We got back today from a weekend at my Mom and Dad's "helping out" with an art show. This was the second year for the "Artisans Road Trip" which featured over 50 Iowa artists from 11 different counties. This tour is interesting in the fact that instead of having all of the artists gather in one place, they are allowed to set up shop wherever they happen to be and the crowd comes to them. In Dad's case, this meant that people came to the farm and saw his pieces exhibited in the "Corn Crib Gallery." Mom and Dad painted and decorated it in anticipation of last year's show and it winds up being a very unique gallery space. Outside is a full view of the Waterman Creek valley and people drive past Dad's prairie restoration project to get to the house.

Things were down in numbers from last year, but it was an enjoyable weekend nonetheless. My contribution was to talk to people during the course of the two days, which I loved. We had conversations ranging from the weather to worship theology, so I was pretty much in my element. I also got to see several family members including my grandparents, my Mom's cousin Nancy and my Uncle Marv and Aunt Shirley. I also got to hang out with my sister for a good part of the weekend, so it was great for me.

I also enjoyed watching my father, the artist, get to be the center of attention. I enjoyed seeing people respond to his work as his photos, drawings, paintings and silk screens grabbed their attention and imagination. Dad does a great job at capturing an experience through his impression of it, something lost by a great number of more profitable wildlife artists (like Terry Redlin and every Redlin wanna-be). Dad's pieces allow you to breathe, interpret and explore everything presented in a way that respects the observer's intelligence and ability to grasp the subject. I love the fact that Dad has his own style that continues to evolve as his perception and technique have changed over the years.

For more on Dad's work, visit http://www.morrisons-studio.com/.

No comments: