Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Happy Birthday, Dad!

Today is my Dad's birthday and last day of work at a job that has held him hostage for over two years. It's a day that we've all been praying for for a long, long time. He's been counting down the weeks to this day since he started the job and I'm thrilled for him that he gets one last hurrah Wednesday night before he takes early retirement. The road he's been on for the last two years has paved the way for me to deal with what I'm going through with employment with much more patience and understanding. He and Mom have been able to understand our situation much more clearly since it has been their story for the last two years.

There is nobody that I identify with more strongly than my Dad. We are so similar in so many ways, from sense of humor to temperament. The comparison brings up the whole nature vs. nurture thing, but I know that I am who I am because of my Dad. Much of his temperament found a natural home in me and much of my outlook on life and living is in direct response to the example that he has set throughout his life. I probably understand his struggles more deeply than he realizes, just as he probably understands mine more deeply than I realize. Because of that realization, I don't idealize him, but I respect him much more because I know him as he truly is. He is a man I am proud of and a man whose influence I am deeply grateful for.

Happy birthday, Dad with my undying love and thanks,

Matt

No comments: