Sunday, October 02, 2005

Can't sleep, may as well write

Tonight's my last night of the weekend to get some "real sleep" (i.e. sleep on my preferred schedule), but I can't quite settle in. I've had a good weekend of reflection, service and worship and feel like I need to strike while the iron's hot.

I did finally get the chance to do something at the church this weekend. I helped out with setting some equipment back up after an event on Saturday and hung out to learn the ropes of the sound board this morning. It wasn't the usual level of involvement that I'm accustomed to, but it was a start. Amy got to play piano this morning. She's been fighting a cold and had no voice this morning, so I think it was better for her to be playing since that was the only way she could be actively participating this morning.

We got some loaner furniture from Hal and Martha (the worship leader/youth pastor and children's ministry director, respectively). They loaned us a few chairs, a small kitchen table (the perfect size for our place) and a real bed. The air mattress hasn't been horrible, but there's something to be said for sleeping on a real bed. After Hal and I hauled the furniture here yesterday, he and Martha had us over for dinner. It was nice to be able to get to know them still better as they are still fairly new to the church as well.

Worship this morning was good as I actually felt like a contributor even though I only made a few suggestions to the sound guy during the sound check. I didn't do it in an unsolicited manner, so it's not like I was being pushy, I just suggested a few minor things that gave the sound guy a little better chance of getting things to sound the way he wanted them. I think he was also somewhat relieved that he might not have to run it every Sunday as well.

It was a start to service that I hope will grow me as a servant. It's humbling to be in familiar situations and not be the one who is in charge. Just another step in the process that I feel God taking me through.

No comments: