Friday, October 28, 2005

Missing Ministry

I've said it in a few different ways over the last several months, but this week really has me missing vocational ministry. Sunday we were at Hanfield after loading the last of our possessions into the truck on Saturday. It was a creative service that made me proud and sad. Proud because I felt that the planning was a continuation of the direction that we were headed while still on staff there. Sad because we weren't able to be a part of that continued journey. I'm sure that it was a combination of missing the creative process and missing the people involved, but it brought to light just how keenly I miss being an integral part of a creative process.

On the plus side, Amy and I had a meeting with Chip and Hal from New Hope and Tom Henderson who will be guest speaking on Nov. 6th because Amy and I get to take responsibility for the music on the Nov. 6th service while Chip and Hal are out of town. I'm looking forward to getting to lead again, even if it's only for one Sunday. It was nice to be in a planning setting again, to talk about different options and try to make the elements of the service flow together again. You'd think after doing that week in, week out for eight years that I'd welcome the break, but I miss it a lot.

I still don't have a handle on what God is doing in this season, but I find myself thinking about ministry more and more often. I don't know if I'll ever get the chance to do it in a vocational setting, but I'm thankful to get to stretch those muscles a little every now and then.

No comments: