Wednesday, August 03, 2005

The irony of our summer

If you've been reading this, by now you know that we are in the midst of moving from Indiana to South Dakota to pursue what we believe is a God-given call. Our last day of employment was May 31st and we are still on the job hunt. Hanfield (our church) was extremely generous in sending us off and we've been very thankful. Even so, we've experienced a slew of atypical incidents that have required extra funds that we really probably could have used elsewhere. The following is a list of those items that we have broken or replaced this summer (as best as I can remember). I don't list these to complain or to plead for financial help from anybody. I list them because I find it ironic and humorous.

New muffler- the tail pipe on our van fell off on the first leg of our journey near Kankakee, IL.

New bike wheels- when we stopped to get the tailpipe looked at, the van was backed into a sign at the garage we stopped at. My bike was on the back of the van and my rear bike wheel was destroyed three days before beginning a bike tour in South Dakota. I did get a great deal on new wheels!

Cracked windshield- in a moment of stupidity, I climbed up the front of the van (a Pontiac Transport, you know, one of those dustbuster looking things) to put one of my bikes on a rooftop carrier and stepped in a spot on the windshield that gave under my 210 pounds. The resulting spider web is at eye level on the driver's side, but we're going to try to wait it out.

Broken front running light- again, the van. I was getting ready to drive up to the auditorium at Epworth Forest where we were leading worship for a camp last week and in picking my route failed to see the cement reinforced drain with menacing iron grate. Stupid. Truly stupid. No plans to fix it as yet.

Electrical for trailer- the electrical wiring that we had running on the van was too corroded to get a signal to the Uhaul trailer that we rented last week so that we could move some more of our stuff to South Dakota. Surprisingly, the Uhaul guys let me drive off the lot with the trailer from Peru, IN to Marion, IN where we were able to get the wiring replaced for about $50.

Broken glasses- In trying to get the trailer reattached to the van after getting the electrical fixed, we had a few issues to overcome. It was a hot afternoon and I had just finished helping a friend move a ton of stuff into the trailer, so I was sweating like a chubby Elvis. In order to keep my glasses from slipping off my face, I took them off and set them on a cinder block while I kept working. It wasn't the wisest thing to do and learned that the glasses were not made to withstand being sat upon by a six year old when our friends' son started to sit on them. Thanks to Mom Lofflin for purchasing new frames for me. Don't worry about it Scott and Jeanette.

That's all I can remember for the moment, but we've come to expect things to fall apart or be broken this summer. We half expected the van to fall apart like the Blues Mobile in front of the Cook County Building in The Blues Brothers when we arrived at the house on Sunday. We were pleased that it did not.

No comments: