Wednesday, August 10, 2005

A Day of Thanks

I had a great ride of about 42 miles this morning on a cooler, sunny day. The best part was that the wind was out of the east which prompted me to ride some places I hadn't been yet.

I met another rider named Barb on my way back into town. She had done day 1 of the Tour de Kota and day 1 of RAGBRAI into Sheldon (my home town), both with her husband, and rides a fair amount. Her riding partner, Jane, broke her neck in June so Barb has been doing a lot more solo riding this year. Marilyn (Amy's mom) knows Jane and I knew about her accident, so Barb and I had quite a bit to talk about.

I usually do a fair amount of praying on the bike and today was no different except for the fact that my prayers were different then they've been of late. I've been doing a lot of "I need" praying lately (somewhat spurred by the unemployment and all), but today I found myself in a day of thanks. No "I needs," no"Would You pleases" no "Are You sure You know what You're doings." Just thanks.

It's probably a combination of the endorphins and the shift in prayer focus, but I feel pretty good this morning.

1 comment:

Tim Lehrian said...

Hey Matt!

I've been reading Crowder's "Praise Habit" for my quiet times lately, and he was just talking about this juxtaposition of lament and thanks. Read Psalm 74 and 75 sometime. Psalm 74 is a psalm of lament (crying out to God "Why?"), followed directly by a psalm of praise and thanksgiving. Now, I'm not sure how much time elapsed between the writing of these 2 psalms, but I don't think their adjacency in scripture is accidental.

Hope to hear some good news from the Morrisons soon!