Monday, March 27, 2006

Reunions and Sermons

We had a great time over the weekend as we headed back to Sheldon, IA to lead worship and speak at the Church of the Brethren. We headed over early on Saturday to see our friends Amy and Abe Scheaffer. We had a good time catching up and talking about ministry which is always an energizing topic for me. We even left with a lead on a job in North Dakota, although the idea would take some selling with Amy and our families. Climate and distance are a little less desirable than what we would like, but if God leads us there, that's where we'll be.

While we were at Amy and Abe's, Marilyn called to let us know that another high school friend, Molly Abraham (formerly Rolfsmeier) was in town to celebrate her mom Lynn's birthday. Our parents were at the party as well, so we joined them and had a few hours to catch up with Molly and had the chance to meet her husband John and baby girl Olivia. John kept Xander well entertained and taught him a magic trick that he'll be practicing to master for some time.

We spent the night with my folks before heading to church back in Sheldon the next morning. Amy did the music and children's sermon while I did the main sermon and other "master of ceremonies" elements of the service. Jim, Marilyn, my folks and their friends Pete and Paula were all there, so our entourage was about 25% of the congregation. We also made it a truly ecumenical affair by providing Methodists, Baptists, Lutherans and Nazarenes for the Brethren congregation.

I was much more comfortable with my sermon this time than when we were there in January. Part of it was that it was material I was more familiar with because it contained elements of other things that I've presented before. We get to go back in late May again, so I've got a little time to think about what I want to do, but I know I'll wait until about two weeks prior to really begin to worry about it.

No comments: