Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Great Night at Work

It's amazing how quickly things change. I came home from work last night frustrated and wondering what on earth we're doing in Sioux Falls and why I'm stuck in the job I'm working. 24 hours later I left on a high and it had nothing to do with the job.

I wrote awhile ago about my friend and co-worker Patricia who was recently diagnosed with a tumor. Well, she goes in for surgery on Friday and tonight was our last full night of work together until she returns from disability in a couple of months. She and I have had a lot of great conversations about God and she has felt comfortable enough to ask questions from time to time and has always been very open to listening to what I have to say. She decided a few weeks ago to come to church at New Hope and, with surgery just around the corner, our conversations have taken on a new significance.

I had really hoped to get the chance to talk to her tonight and have prayed for months for the opportunity to ask her whether she had ever committed her life to Jesus. Early on, it didn't seem like that opportunity would present itself tonight. As the night went on though, the team thinned out a bit and the people that Patricia and I usually spend our breaks with left early. As Patricia and I talked and worked, the topic of God came up again, so I asked her about her relationship with God.

The conversation that followed was everything that I had been praying for. We talked about how believing that there is a God is one thing, but believing that God is who He says He is and committing to learning about Him and following Him is another matter all together. We talked about what it means to commit your life to God and about the sin of man, the sacrifice of Jesus and the salvation that is offered to us.

She had asked if making the commitment was something that she could do when she prayed that night, so I wrote a few things down for her to take with her, but as the conversation went on, I really felt the Holy Spirit lead to pray "the sinner's prayer" with her. I asked her if that would be alright and we prayed right there at our desks. I was so glad that everybody in our area had cleared out, because I don't know if the conversation would have happened otherwise. After we prayed, I let her know how I had been praying for her and for the chance to have that conversation with her. I let her know that Amy and I are continuing to pray for her as are other people.

We continued to talk. She asked some questions about how to learn more about God and about the Bible. She's going to have a good amount of time after her surgery to give it some more thought, so I tried to give a few more things that might help her in the weeks ahead.

We finally broke off the conversation and got back to work. For the record, the conversation took 15 minutes, so I counted it as my final break of the night and was able to stay above board with work policy.

I think Patricia recognizes that she took a step tonight, but I don't think she understands the full scope of the journey that she's on. None of us do when we first make that commitment, but I'm just praying that God will help her take her next step, and the one after that, and the one after that, for however long her journey is.

God, thank You. You are the giver of life, hope and peace. I pray that as You give new life to Patricia through a renewed relationship with you, through the blood of Jesus, and the power of the Holy Spirit that you will transform her into the new creation that you have promised. I pray that you will give those of us that know and love her, and know and love You, a chance to continue to be a part of her life and a part of Your life in her. Help us to be tools that You use to teach her what it means to follow You. Help us to be faithful to continue to work alongside You as you continue to grow her into the woman of God you desire her to be.

I pray for her surgery. Be with the doctors and all who play a part in it that it would go well and that she would be delivered safely through it. I pray for her family and friends and I pray for Patricia as she has to deal with her family and friends. Be a constant peace surrounding her that spreads to those she comes in contact with. Help her recover quickly and fully and to use the time that she will be away from work to grow in her relationship with You.

You are glorious. Thank You for being my answered prayer, for taking me from the depth of frustration to the height of worship. Thank You for letting me know that You are in this and that You have called me to where I am. Thank You for saving my friend and for allowing me to be a part of her story.

All glory, honor, power and dominion be Yours, now and forever.

Amen

No comments: