Friday, February 17, 2006

The Week Thus Far

It's been a different week at work and at home. At work, Kim (our manager) has been in Mexico with her son and passed the baton to me to coordinate scheduling issues with our workforce management team in Jacksonville. It's been kind of fun, but a bit hectic. The beginning of the week I was having to tell them who wanted what time off and when (we have had VTO available all week). By Tuesday, they wanted us to make our own individual VTO requests online which meant that I then got to check in with Jax to make sure that everything was going okay. We've kept that system up the rest of the week and have had other system glitches that have had me on the phone frequently with them, but I've rather enjoyed the sense of responsibility. Hopefully, I haven't behaved as though I am mad with power, but you'd have to ask my co-workers.

At home, we've been without the kids since Wednesday afternoon. They're at my folk's while Amy's been doing jewelry parties tonight and in the morning. Yesterday, Amy took Xander to the eye doctor for a checkup and took Maia which gave me the chance to finish spending my Valentine's money. We had decided a few weeks ago to buy jeans for each other (I know, romantic) and went out on VD morning with the kids. Amy found what she wanted, but I was hoping to squeeze a pair of jeans and a shirt out of the $30 that I had and couldn't seal the deal that day. So, I went again Wednesday and wound up with jeans and two shirts courtesy of the $4.77 prices on the clearance rack at Penney's. I told Amy that I've actually gotten to the point where I enjoy clothes shopping. I'm stuck wearing nicer clothes than I could get away with at the church for work, and I've gotten rather bored with what I've had, so the two shirts will give me a bit more to work with.

Since the kids are gone and Amy will be doing a party in the morning, I'm hoping to do a little recording and writing. I'm hoping to record the content of the sermon that I did in Sheldon last month to make available as a podcast. I've never created a podcast before, so it may take a little while for me to get that to the point where it's available. I'll be sure to include any news about that here.

I've also got a few short segments of songs for our CD project with Hal, but they are far from resembling a complete song, so I'm hoping to do a little crafting of those. If those don't seem to be working, I may just try to write some lyrics without worrying about the melody, shop them around to Hal and Amy and see if between the three of us we can make something useful out of them. Hal has been working on a song that he played for me yesterday that I love. He had part of it done the week before, but reset the harmonies and style of the song in a way that I absolutely love. He's got a great palette with melody and harmony and I think he'd do a better job with any text I could come up with than I can, so I'm thinking about trying to contribute more lyrically and allow some cowriting to happen.

I should probably get some sleep or I'll be too tired for either project that I have in mind for the morning. Hopefully I won't get bogged down in technical junk and will be able to fully explore both of the things that I have in mind for the morning, but somehow I suspect nothing will be as easy as I'm hoping.

No comments: