Monday, February 27, 2006

A Night Off

I managed to pick up a flu bug from Xander over the weekend and could really feel it when we got home from church yesterday. Yet again, it would have been a beautiful day for a bike ride, but there was no way I could have done it. I pretty much melted into a puddle on the couch where I stayed most of the day.

Five hours of sleep later, Monday hit and I still was feeling pretty poor. I decided to not infect the office and take the night off. I've been fairly medicated all day, so I feel draggy, but not as bad as yesterday. By staying home I had the chance to see my sister Rena and her girls, Cassie and Lexie. Rena and Lexie are taking piano from Amy and I would normally miss them by the time they come at 3:30.

Since I had a little time on my hands, I updated my teaching resume, sent out my registration for the teaching exam and even applied for a teaching job. I wanted to start looking now as the teaching carousel gets started. There should be one round of openings for the next 4-6 weeks and then another round in May and June as people jump from one school system to another. I'm looking forward to the prospect of being in the classroom and think that the time spent at my current job has been very beneficial in giving me incentive to teach. I also got in touch with a few contacts in the area to let them know that I'm looking and to have some more feelers out as positions become available.

I feel fairly peaceful right now and, as much as I'd love to move on vocationally, I'm content to do what I'm doing until a position comes along. I think I'm a better candidate now than I was when I applied for a teaching position in the fall. I must have reeked of desperation as I thought that job was something of a lifeline for me at the time. I'm much more peaceful, which is manifesting itself in the form of confidence. There was a time when I considered myself a very strong teaching candidate and had a lot of other people telling me what a great teacher I'd be. I may be ten years farther down the road, but I have to believe that I still have the same potential I did then. Hopefully, I'll get the chance to give it a go.

No comments: