Saturday, February 25, 2006

A Great Day for Cycling (except in South Dakota)


Today is a great day for cycling with some great races on the pro cycling calendar. I'm keeping up with Omloop Het Volk, an early season race in Belgium, on cyclingnews.com and will be able to follow today's stage in the Tour of California later today where most of the best American and international riders have been duking it out for the last few days. I love this time of year for cycling because the racing is generally pretty gritty and uncomfortable with cold, the occasional rain and lots of cobblestones to make life interesting.

Unfortunately, even though we have had one of the warmest winters on record so far, I have yet to take to the road myself in 2006. It's frustrating because there have been any number of great riding days (including two this week), but none on the weekends. I would have to skip work to ride on an agreeable day which just isn't happening. I have to hope that life will loosen up enough to allow me to sneak out one of these days or I'll have a hard time getting my early season conditioning going in time for the Tour de Kota in June.

They're in the last 20 km in Belgium, so I'm off to the virtual races.

(Picture by Eddy Van Laere of the Official Het Volk Site (http://omloop.sportwereld.be/omloop/nieuws.html)

No comments: