Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Possible Opportunities and a few Days Away

If there's anything good to be said about being in the midst of a job search it is that things can get pretty interesting. I've been actively seeking a ministry role since arriving in South Dakota about a year ago and that search has expanded to a regional, rather than local one. I've had phone interviews as far away as the twin cities (Minneapolis/St. Paul for those unfamiliar with the shorthand of the upper Midwest) and Hastings, NE. I'm also preparing for an in person interview in Hastings at the end of next week. So, I was a bit surprised when a couple of possible opportunities opened up right here in Sioux Falls.

The first opportunity that I became aware of was with a new church plant (about 9 months old) looking for a worship leader. I sent my resume about 10 days ago and followed up with a bit more information yesterday. I got an email back from the Lead Pastor with a bit more info about where they are at as a church and in their search. They are collecting resumes now and will be looking a bit more seriously at next steps in August. It would be a part time thing, but with my current job, it would probably work out pretty well.

They also let me know about another opportunity in town. It seems one of the larger churches is looking at starting a new service and has been seeking a worship leader for it. I dropped an email last night asking for more info and to see where I might send a resume and references. They had one of those online email forms, so I couldn't just send my info and had to keep my message short. I couldn't find anything about their needs on their site, so I don't know if they are really looking or if it would be a paid position of some sort.

The plot thickens.

In other news, we got to spend Father's Day with my folks and my Grandpa Harold and his wife, Pauline. It was a relaxed visit and a good chance to escape Sioux Falls, if only for the day. This afternoon we're headed to Yankton to stay with Jim and Marilyn. Amy is helping Marilyn with face painting for an ice cream social this evening, so we're headed out after Amy's morning lessons and will come back tomorrow morning.

I was planning on riding this morning, but there's a chance of storms this morning, so I decided to wait until we hit Yankton in the hopes that the weather will have passed by this afternoon. I love riding around Yankton and had mentioned the other day that I would like to test myself on some of the hills around there with my new bike. I am thinking about doing a century ride in the Black Hills in August and am eager to see how the bike handles hills in the river valley around Yankton since we don't really have many hills of note around Sioux Falls.

As I expected, I am spending a lot of time fixing bikes and not enough time riding them. It hasn't been too bad, but I do miss having less traffic, better roads and a more consistent schedule as all of that, plus the amount of time I spend on my feet) has made riding a little more difficult this year. It still isn't bad, but I'd love to be out more. I think 2000 miles this year is still doable, but I'm going to have to get serious about it soon.

No comments: