Friday, June 16, 2006

Latest Job Update

We got a call from the church that we did a phone interview with a few weeks ago and we're headed there for an in person interview in two weeks. As I've talked with them, one of the things that keeps coming out is their desire to develop ministry to the post modern culture that's growing in their community. That certainly is something that grabbed my attention when we first began to discuss this position and the ability of a candidate to develop such a ministry seems to be a huge factor in their search.

It's going to be interesting to see how that part of the conversation goes. Is there an understanding that there is more to post modernism than a simple generational association? Most churches tend to define "post modern" by Gen X or Millenial generation ministry, but it isn't nearly that simple. I know some folks in their 50's and 60's that I would say are more post modern than some of the people I know in their 20's.

It's more of a cultural shift than a generational one. It is essentially a cultural reaction to the "modern" worldview that has been the dominant worldview in western culture since the Industrial Revolution and holds implications for the church that need to move beyond age specific ministries. I've learned a lot from guys like Brian McLaren, Erwin McManus, Dan Kimball and the folks at Emergent Village and would encourage you to check out their sites since they have spent much more time and energy on this subject than I have.

I know there are those that consider "emerging church" discussion as just a fad in church circles and they may be right, time will tell. But, I would encourage followers and detractors alike to look seriously at some of what is being discussed because I believe that even if the emergent movement winds up being just a blip on the radar of Christendom that there are valuable things to be discussed and considered for the future of the church.

I guess in about two weeks we'll begin to see how it might relate to one specific church in Nebraska.

1 comment:

David said...

Hey! It's been a while. I found myself with some time so I was catching up with things in your life ;)

You are, in my opinion correct. Post-modernism is a generational thing. It is more about worldviews that a persons age. It took a while for me to come to this conclusion. So, you might find older folks who view life through a post-modern lense and younger folks still in the modern stream.

Along with Emergent issues, I encourage you to check out information about the Missional Church (do a search on google or this site is good).

Blessings on your journey - Dave.