Saturday, June 10, 2006

Final Pre-Tour De Kota Tune Up

I hit the road for a few really, really windy miles yesterday morning before work. I cut it a bit shorter than I had originally intended, but still got a solid workout in. I've logged a few hundred miles on the new bike and am looking forward to how it responds to the ride tomorrow. We'll head over to Yankton tonight and stay at Jim and Marilyn's house so we can get an early start in the morning. Amy is driving support again while Maia and Xander spend the day with Grandpa and Grandma.

I still have a little trepidation about tomorrow's ride. My longest effort of the year thus far is 62 miles which falls well short of the 100 that we're targeted for tomorrow. I'm also about 300 miles behind where I was a year ago going into the Tour. I'm hoping that my recent training and new bike will help bridge that gap. I'm also not intending to destroy myself like I did last year on the first day. I'm going to find some folks to ride with, stop more often and just enjoy the day instead of worrying about how well I'm riding compared to anybody else. It's still gonna hurt, but hopefully some fun will be had.

No comments: