Thursday, April 20, 2006

A Professional Bike Mechanic

Still seems a bit of a stretch to call myself a "professional bike mechanic" but they intend to pay me for yesterday's work at the new job, so I guess it's official. They started me off with building new bikes that will eventually make their way to the floor. Dave and Lee (the other full timers) were great to work with and incredibly patient with me. I hope their patience continues for at least a few more days.

They had me building bikes for pretty much the whole day. I actually got credit for three of them, but have to admit that the drivetrain was still giving me fits. I feel fairly comfortable with setting up brakes and most of the other stuff that we do is fairly straight ahead. If you're stopping into the store and are worried about buying something that the new guy built, don't worry. Each bike that is built is tested before it hits the floor and retested once it is bought.

There are so many differences between this job and my last one that they probably deserve their own post, but the most immediately felt effect is from standing all day instead of sitting at a desk for a full shift. My back is probably going to suffer a bit in the short term while I adjust to it, but hopefully it won't be too bad.

Now I'm off for day 2.

No comments: