Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Morning Ride


Anybody else see a cheetah on their ride this morning? No? Thought not. I hit the bike trail in Sioux Falls for a little spinning and to get some more base miles in my legs so I can get on with some serious riding soon. The trail takes you right along the back side of the zoo where you can get the occasional glimpse of something cool for free. I know that Jamin might have seen a cheetah this morning in Africa, but I doubt that he was on a bike. If he did, it was cooler than my encounter, but I'd just as soon see a caged cheetah if I'm on my bike and my only method of defense is my mini-pump for my tires. I wouldn't provide much more of a chase for a cheetah right now than a zebra with two broken legs carrying a hippo on its back.

I also saw some emu at the zoo and plenty of ducks, geese, pheasant and flickers to make the ride rather enjoyable until I hit the north end of town and had to work my way back home. The wind hit about there and slowed me down quite a bit. I made it home with another 22 miles under my belt, but I'm still not feeling like I'm riding particularly well.

I did make a pleasant discovery last night when I did my ride log. I thought I was way behind last year's pace due to a late start to the season but found I am really only about 10 miles behind. I doubt I'll be able to match last April's output, but it gave me some hope that maybe I'm not as far off as I had feared.

1 comment:

JGaroutte said...

That's awesome... and, you win. We went out on safari twice, and we never saw a cheetah, though another car pointed us to one that we never found... And I must say--after seeing a zebra with one broken leg and no hippo--you must be incredibly slow!

P.S. I saw an article the other day at Borders about team discovery... sounds like their really strugglin'...