Monday, April 17, 2006

Bikes on the brain and my last night at the bank

We drove to Jim & Marilyn's in Yankton yesterday which meant I got to start the day with a bike ride on some familiar roads. I was excited because I haven't been able to ride much yet and they live along the Missouri River, so I'd get to do some solid early season riding on some of the better hills in the area.

The weather was rainy, a little windy and only about 50 degrees, in other words, perfect. I love riding when the conditions are less than perfect. I love coming home wet, chilled and tired after a good effort because I really feel like I accomplished something. I did just under 30 miles with three sections of climbing. The first section contained long, steep climbs. Section #2 was long and gradual climbs. Section three was more of the long, steep variety, but not as much climbing as section 1. I felt surprisingly good and was glad to get the chance to work on hard efforts and recovery which will help me out a lot down the road.

Tomorrow I get to begin to spend even more time around bikes as I have orientation for my new job as a bike tech. I had my last night of work at Citibank tonight and was able to go home early by using up the last of my time off. It was hard to say goodbye to people that I genuinely enjoy being around, but the prospect of being able to work in an environment where I get to play with bikes cushions the blow a great deal.

I also had a chance to talk to my good friend David Brown tonight. After giving it a lot of thought, Dave said he'd be willing to play drums for us at camp. I'm excited to get a chance to play together again and hope to round up the rest of the musicians over the next few days. I'm looking forward to it, but will have a hard time waiting for the end of July to actually do it!

No comments: