Saturday, January 07, 2006

My Printer's Not as Smart as it Thinks it is

I'm taking a forced break during sermon prep while I wait for Amy to come home so I can go pick up some ink for our printer. I haven't been writing here much this week because I've been preparing the sermon for our guest stint at the Sheldon Church of the Brethren tomorrow. My normal prep routine is to study and write, study and write some more, write everything that as a first draft, print it, practice it, revise it, reprint, repeat until I'm either satisfied with it or I simply run out of time.

I'm finally done writing the first draft, but the printer quit after one page and is telling me that I have to replace the ink because I'm out of black. Never mind the fact that I just printed the first page successfully with no fading whatsoever. I miss our old printer which didn't warn you that it was running out because it didn't know. I would have been able to finish the first draft with the amount of ink that I have left and could set about the practice, revise phase of preparation. As it stands, I'm stuck with a printer that is smart enough to know that it needs to have its ink replaced, but not smart enough to know that it could probably help me out by spitting out a first draft even if the ink fades.

Stupid, smart printer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

James says "Take the ink out, put it back in and tell your computer you replaced it." I'm sure this will not help you by the time you read it, but I had to pass on his 'smarty pants' answer. (It's just a varation on his most annoying comment "Did you reboot the computer?" I have learned to not EVER ask him for help if I haven't done that first!)