Thursday, January 26, 2006

Conversation with Bill

Well, I officially withdrew my name for the church job today. I went over to the church to talk to Pastor Bill this morning before lunch and had a good conversation with him for a half hour or so.

In talking to Amy about it yesterday I realized that even though I knew I wasn't going to take the job, I still hoped that today's conversation could add value to the church. I really don't want them to feel as though they wasted time in talking with us and hopefully they'll be able to continue their search with a little more information to help them find the right person.

Bill was very understanding, a little disappointed, but, above all, gracious. I really wanted to affirm him in what the church is doing and where they are headed. In hindsight, it might have been an "It's not you, it's me" kind of conversation, but that really is the case. I just didn't feel like I was the best fit for where they're headed.

Opens up some new lines of thinking for future ministry, but maybe I'll write about that on my late break.

No comments: