Thursday, January 26, 2006

Conversation with Chip

Shortly after leaving Linwood where I talked to Bill, I left for Famous Dan's BB-Q joint where I had lunch with my Pastor, Chip. During the first conversation I had with Chip, last summer, he mentioned the desire of the Nazarene Church to plant more churches in the area. That part of the conversation has probably been revisited in my mind more than any other and today was a resumption of that thread of conversation.

Chip had a lot of great data and practical advice and asked a lot of questions that I need to sort through before contemplating being the lead pastor for a church plant. We talked about whether my heart for artists is better suited for a church plant, campus or extension of an existing church. That's the first thing that I feel like I have to deal with.

If I were to consider doing a church plant, I don't think it could be built with artists as the primary target group simply because that is too broad a brush to paint with. I think we would have to look at a different target with the realization that we would probably attract some artistic people. I am a strong believer that you attract what you are and since Amy and I both have that artistic bent, I have to believe that we would attract more artists.

I think my next step is to begin to put some things on paper and really begin to turn dream into picture in order to better understand whether what I'm thinking about is concrete enough to pursue. In the process, we might even find direction.

As an aside, I am absolutely lacking confidence in a decision on a church plant. I feel like Moses when I consider this stuff. I feel like God is saying "Go" and I'm pleading my case that I'm not eloquent enough or smart enough... or brave enough.

At the same time, I think about it constantly, dream about what it could be and consider a ministry that I'd gladly give my life for... in theory. If it becomes a pursued reality, it will take more courage than I currently possess.

I'm not saying I won't do it.

No comments: