Sunday, December 17, 2006

NFL is on my list...


After pro cycling, NFL football is easily my favorite sport to watch and/or listen to. The NFL is really starting to tick me off though as they continue to chip away at my access to games. I recognize that the NFL is a business and, as such, needs to continue to explore avenues to increase revenue, but it's image as a blue collar friend of the people is eroding quickly as they become more proprietary toward their properties.

Since we moved to Sioux Falls, we have been on a much more restricted budget. The only technology that we allow ourselves is high speed internet access because of the way that we use the computer in our house. That means no cable and no dish, which in turn means no Monday Night Football, no games broadcast on the NFL Network and no access to Direct TV Sunday Ticket which allows you to watch the games you want to watch instead of the featured network or regional games on local TV.

Today, I'm stuck with NY Giants/Philly as my only late game on local TV. An important matchup to be sure, but neither team interests me and my beloved, beleaguered Broncos are playing for their playoff lives. I used to be able to hop online, log onto KOA radio's broadcast as the local carrier of Denver Broncos' football and at least listen to the game. Not today. The NFL has apparently finally managed to silence every voice that does not produce revenue for them and you now have to subscribe to their Field Pass program to listen to games for a subscription fee.

Thanks, NFL for continuing to make your league less accessible for low income fans while finding more ways to make millions.

No comments: