Friday, December 15, 2006

Celebrating Christmas

This weekend begins our annual making of the rounds to celebrate Christmas with everybody. I'm really not complaining. It used to be that we had to squeeze it all into a week of vacation with three or four places of destination. Now it's a day in Mitchell (tomorrow), a day in Yankton (the following Saturday) and Christmas day in Fort Dodge at my Grandpa and grandma's' house. Some people would cringe at such a schedule, but I'm really looking forward to it.

I have to admit that Fort Dodge Christmases hold a favored, biased status in my esteem since it was where I spent every Christmas I remember growing up and several since. Fort Dodge holds memories of sleeping on the couch by the tree, sledding down the hill at the Crestview house and time with grandparents (both sides of the family live there), extended family and other family friends who were a regular part of the experience.

This Christmas will be uniquely special in that we will celebrate our first Christmas with Mercy Church. We get to lead on the morning of Christmas Eve and then will combine with the congregation of Good Shepherd Community Church (where we meet) for an evening Christmas Eve service. I'm looking forward to watching new memories created and hope that there will be moments in this season that stick in the minds of our kids over the years to come.

No comments: