Wednesday, August 23, 2006

More Mercy

I contacted Shel (the lead pastor Mercy Church in Sioux Falls where I applied for a part-time worship leading position with in June) yesterday to see where the church was at in its search process. Turned out, not too far. Shel said he was interested in getting together and we met for coffee this afternoon for about 90 minutes.

It was a good conversation (and good cafe breve) that covered the range from our calling to and from Hanfield, the needs of Mercy Church, the Christian Missionary Alliance, our mutual backgrounds as former classical musicians and a fair amount of ecclesiology.

The church received a few resumes from people that are already in Sioux Falls and they are interested in speaking with a few. Shel invited us to lead a rehearsal and service as the next step in the process which will hopefully happen in the next month or so.

Shel strikes me as someone that I can relate to and can be a little more straight forward with. I have the tendency to be a little too diplomatic at times and he encouraged me on a few occasions to just lay out what I was thinking without the filter. I also found that we have a lot in common in terms of ministry vision and values. I think Shel is a bit more studied and further down the road in most areas than I am, but I found that I clicked with almost everything he was saying.

He was open enough to let me know the pay the church would be able to offer wasn't much, but money is not my primary motivator in this at all. It looks as though I'd be able to work things around my shop schedule until such a time as the role would expand.

My prayer is that Mercy will find the person that is the right fit for them. If it isn't me, then I will still be thankful that I was able to begin a relationship with someone who I really respect and may cross paths with in ministry down the road. I'm trying (yet again) to hold things loosely. We'll see how successful I am as the process plays out.

No comments: