Sunday, August 27, 2006

Maynard Ferguson Dies

Growing up as a young trumpet player (some of you probably didn't realize that is my native instrument), I couldn't help but be mesmerized by Maynard Ferguson. He was probably best known for the theme from "Rocky" than for anything else, but was much more than a one hit wonder. He was one of the most renowned lead trumpet players in the history of the big band, was a great showman with incredible range who attracted great talent for his own bands and was an active clinician and educator.

I saw Maynard on a few different occasions and always left inspired to work harder and play higher. No, he wasn't the greatest jazz trumpet player I ever heard, but there was something about him that ignited the imagination and left me wanting to be a better player. I learned a lot from Maynard and the ensembles that he put together.

Maynard died a few days ago and, I have to admit, just thinking about his legacy makes me want to play again.

No comments: