Sunday, June 12, 2005

Tour de Kota stage 1 wrap up

Well, I just finished the first day of the 1st Tour de Kota a few hours ago. There were two options: one of about 65 miles and one of just under 100 miles. Like an idiot, I chose the long way around.

I have to admit to a fair amount of apprehension at the start of the day. I hadn't ridden in five days and had a few other training rides cut short due to flat tires and blown tires (not exactly the same thing). I also am not used to riding with other riders, so I wasn't sure how I'd stack up. This isn't a race, but there's still a pride thing in riding that makes me want to ride a fairly respectable speed and I was pretty convinced that I would probably be in the bottom half of riders when it came to speed.

The day started beautifully in the mid-50's with almost no wind, sunny skies and every other favorable factor that you would want in the first day of a six day tour. I found myself in an attitude of worship and thanksgiving as I sang the Doxology about seven miles into the ride (after making sure that I wasn't within earshot of anybody so I didn't freak them out). We went through towns like Volin and rolled past a beautiful natural landmark, Spirit Mound. It was about that time (roughly 30 miles in) that the wind began to make its presence a little more known. Thankfully, it was in our faces which meant we'd have it behind us for the return trip.

Those doing the century ride headed south into Vermillion where Amy and I went to college. We went downtown and passed places with memories from college days like Leo's, Carey's and the Char Bar. Okay, I was a different guy back then. We then went south of town and hit the turn around point on the other side of the Missouri River in Nebraska. Just like the Tour de France often visits neighboring lands on its race route, we apparently were destined to visit Nebraska. The scene of crossing the bridge (though uphill) was breathtaking (in a good way).

A short return trip to Vermillion found me meeting Amy at the Winery for lunch. Okay, I used the restroom in the winery and we bought our food out of a van in the parking lot. Tres chic. That marked the 51 mile point and I was feeling pretty good. I shared with Amy that I was not among the slowest riders, in fact I was fairly fast compared to a lot of the folks out there. That helped me relax and just ride my own rhythm without worrying about my pride.

We left Vermillion. Amy headed for Yankton and I headed for what would turn out to be the remaining 47 miles or so of my ride. The tailwind felt great and I was able to pick up some pretty good speed. Once the century route met up with the shorter ride I began passing people, some for the second time of the day. I was feeling pretty good about life, the universe and everything when we hit a fork in the road. To the left was an idyllic continuation of flat lands with lovely tailwinds, to the right was one of the steeper hills I had seen where strong cross winds waited to sap the body of strength. You guessed it, the short route went left, the century went right and my body started screaming at me for going the wrong way.

The next 15 to 20 miles was a little surreal. I saw very little of other riders, absolutely no support personnel and almost none of the locals. This route took us through Wakonda where I had played for a community band concert once upon a time ago at the request of a friend. It was like a ghost town. I saw a few bikes in front of the bar and grill, but otherwise, no one was to be seen. It was quite awhile before I saw anybody again even when I could see for two miles in front of me and one behind. I have never felt so alone on a group ride.

I was ecstatic to see people again when the long and short routes finally met up again. I began passing some of the people for the third time on the day and my body just hurt. I only had about 15 miles to go, so my mind convinced my body that the pain would not stop until I got off the bike and the best way to ensure that the pain didn't last as long was to push harder. My body bought it (the idiot). I pushed like crazy the rest of the way in and the pain stopped after about 98 miles, two short of the promised century ride of the day, but I didn't care. Amy picked me up and we had a short van ride back to her mom's.

Now I just wonder if I can convince my body to get back on the bike in the morning. It's a 79 mile day tomorrow with the threat of 25-30 mile headwinds through most of the day. Should be fun.

1 comment:

Tim Lehrian said...

Hey! It's great to hear an update from you. Sounds like you're holding up alright in the Tour, despite a less than perfect preparation. It's good to hear from you. Hope the rest of the Tour goes well. Looking forward to your next update!