Thursday, June 02, 2005

Please Don't Hit Me One More Time

I'm watching NBC's "Hit Me Baby One More Time" where they take mostly washed up musicians and give them a chance to relive the glory days. Loverboy started the night out and I couldn't help but think, "Coming soon to a county fair near you..." "Working for the Weekend" never sounded worse except at some podunk karaoke bar at about 2:30am. At least the next artist, CeCe Peniston, could sing even though her song was crap. I'm kind of looking forward to hearing Flock of Seagulls just for the sheer novelty of it.

The basic premise of the show is: the bands perform one of their greatest hits (or in some cases their only hit), later perform one of today's songs, people vote and the winning act gets a donation made to the charity of their choice.

Flock of Seagulls had the good sense to not break out the early 80's era new wave hair, but they really could have used the early 80's era new wave production. Live performance definitely is not a strength for them.

Arrested Development is next up. They hit the scene after I gave up on pop music and immersed myself in Miles Davis, Charlie Parker, Wynton Marsalis, Duke Ellington and every other jazz artist I could get my hands on. Their song is one of the least complicated so far, but at least they sound good. The female vocal is a little hot in the mix, but I'll blame that on the sound techs rather than the group. So far, easily the best of the bunch.

I've got to say, the host for this show is beyond horrible. If I never watch this show again, he will be a big reason why. Overly loud, British guy who's working way too hard to convince the audience that they're witnessing a great show.

Tiffany still has a voice. "I Think We're Alone Now" was fairly solid. She's covering Kelly Clarkson later in what will probably be one of the best performances of the night. I have to admit, I had Tiffany's debut album on tape back in the day. I owned a lot of crap back in the day.

Loverboy is covering Enrique's "Hero" right now. I can't believe these guys still do 100 shows a year. It shows me that some people don't know when to call it a night. I'm all for washed up musicians making music (since I will soon be one), but to subject a paying audience to your attempt to recapture the glory days is poor form.

CeCe is covering Faith Hill now. She did a fairly good job, to which our announcer stated, "She's just taken the roof off." I'm sorry. She did alright, but any of the female contestants on Idol could have done it better.

Flock of Seagulls is covering "On the Way Down." The band sound is not bad, but the vocal reminded me of a guy rocking out in the bathroom wearing only a towel and singing into the hairbrush. Horrible does not begin to describe it.

Arrested is covering "Heaven" by Los Lonely Boys which could be interesting. They're definitely able to work the room well. They've got good energy on a great hip hop adaptation. I actually liked something that someone on this show did!

Tiffany's up with "Breakaway." Like I said, she still has a voice, although studio production would clean up the rough edges. Amy made the observation that she probably should wear different clothes now that she has "squishy mom belly." I'll not chime in on that one.

Time for the studio audience. I would probably vote for Arrested, which is odd since I'm not an urban music guy. Tiffany would be a close second. CeCe is the only other one that should be allowed to perform for cash.

Arrested won. I feel vindicated.

Thank you! Good night!

No comments: