Sunday, July 20, 2008

Running, running, running...

Amy and the kids were gone for the weekend for Amy's 18th class reunion and I was overbooked and am exhausted. I think I slept for about five minutes this afternoon, but I think it will take a good night's sleep or two to recover from the weekend. I was stuck working 12-9 pm both Friday and Saturday or I would have gone with Amy. Throw in a trip to The Dark Knight, an extra rehearsal with Mike our drummer and a long morning at church and you have the perfect recipe for me running on fumes.

I can't really complain though. I have been looking forward to The Dark Knight since I first heard about it, not just since Heath Ledger's unfortunate death or since the glowing reviews started coming in. Since the opportunity presented itself, I decided to go on Friday night after work. I don't think there's anything else I can say that hasn't already been said, but it was an amazing movie that lives up to the hype and is of rare quality for a July release. It is a dramatic re-imagining of The Joker from performance to appearance to motivation and immediately places this incarnation of the character among the greatest movie villains ever. An immensely dark movie that easily should have earned an R rating and that I will not let Xander watch for several more years.

I had originally intended to check out Jazz Fest after work on Saturday, but I was already running on fumes and decided to save my energy for Sunday morning instead. With as much time as I spent at work Friday and Saturday I was pleased to have good days in sales to make it worth my while since I missed seeing so many of my friends at Amy's reunion. I'm really bummed to have missed John, but will probably give him a call soon just to reconnect.

With as hectic as the weekend was and as many extra things that I had to do for this morning's services, things went okay. We had some technical issues and I'm thinking I need to take a more active role in training our video volunteers, but in spite of a few hiccups, people seemed to connect through worship and that's what we should be concerned with. I keep hoping that we'll hit a stretch where everything just clicks and I place the blame primarily on myself. Full time ministry definitely makes for better focus and I need to figure out what I can do differently to make sure that ministry isn't just getting what's left of my time and attention after taking into account my full time job, family and hobbies. I may not have more time to give to my responsibilities in ministry, but I have to find ways to more effectively use what I have. I feel like I'm ready for a breakthrough. Hopefully, there will be more to come on this topic.

As for the full time gig, things continue to plug along well. This week will begin the transition from our summer seasons to winter seasons, so we will begin to see less bikes and begin resetting my youth cold weather shop. "What?!!," you say. "It's still July!" Yes, I know, but back to school is almost upon us and we need to get things rolling. I'll spend some time reacquainting myself with Columbia, North Face, Burton and others as we start the process that will carry us through until next March. Nothing like eight months of zipping coats to make you long for the beginning of the next bike season.

No comments: