Sunday, July 06, 2008

How long has it been?

I finally managed to find a few minutes to write without having to kick Xander off the computer and where my work, rehearsal, riding schedule isn't getting in the way.

Lots of things going on right now. We're a couple of weeks into our "post-Nich" team setting at church where I am now not only lead worshipper, but also lead guitar. Obviously, I cannot replace Nich (now pursuing his music career in L.A.), but I'm doing my best to balance the dual roles that I have within the team. I'm going to need more time to practice and will have to make decisions in corporate worship much faster in order to keep things cohesive. Unfortunately, I'm also beginning to put together a new wish list of gear to help me be able to have all the tools that I need as a guitar player.

I've been riding a decent amount lately both on and off road. I've hit two state parks with the mountain bike that I had never been to before this year and have managed to log my first few "strong" road rides of the year. I still don't feel like I've hit a stride this season, but I'm finding myself riding more for the joy of riding than because of any goals I have set for myself this year.

At work things have been going well. Bikes have been hot between higher gas prices, government stimulus checks and a favorable recreational climate in Sioux Falls for cyclists. We have sold way more bikes by this point than I thought we would and are already having to order mostly 2009 models because 2008 models are out of stock (this didn't happen with much frequency last year at all). I also found out recently that I get to make another trip to Wisconsin to the Trek mothership where I will get to be a part of their "backstage" portion of the annual Trek World dealer show. I'll get first peaks at some of the new product, learn the tech and get to demo ride with dealers from around the country and a few professional riders. Chris Horner and Travis Brown are the early rumored riders, but you never know who else might show up (last year Lance made an appearance).

We're hoping to make a quick trip to Yankton sometime this week to hit the lake with Jim and Marilyn. If the weather is favorable, I might even ride down there from SF and just nap on the boat in the afternoon. Otherwise, we're probably not going much of anywhere for a vacation this year. Time, money and gas are all conspiring to keep us very close to home but by the time you mix in summer day camps, swim lessons and stays at the grandparents, the kiddos should have plenty of memories from this summer.

About the only travel on our minds right now is the trip to Cancun that I am on track to earn from the store for next March. After this past cold weather season, I'm not only looking forward to it for the break from the South Dakota winter, but also because it will be an entire week where I don't have to zip up a coat at the store. I know that seems like something that would be a long way away, but I will start to set my youth cold weather shop in 16 days for back to school ads. Thus will begin the eight months of having coats to sell, restock, mark down, reorder and generally bury myself in. Fun right?

No comments: