Sunday, July 06, 2008

End of an era for Delirious

I received a press release via email today that Delirious is taking a break from recording and performing after 2009. Whether that break is permanent or not only time will tell, but it does close a chapter on one of my favorite bands and one of the most important groups in the development of modern worship.

Their influence on other artists can't really be estimated as they blazed a trail that so many others have followed. Their live shows were always an interesting mix of artistry, reverential worship and rock and roll energy. Their recordings always sought to be sonically creative and true to what they were hearing and feeling to the point that some listeners tuned them out for not simply producing a career full of "I Could Sing of Your Love Forever" and "Deeper" knock offs.

I had the pleasure of attending a Worship Together conference that they were a part of in Nashville several years ago and still am amazed by the ability of each band member to offer insightful, thoughtful, prayerful commentary on everything from basic musical considerations and worship planning to cultural and theological topics.

My prayer is that God will continue to bless them as they move into other pursuits to spread the Kingdom of God and I thank Martin, Stu G, Tim, Jon and Stew Smith for inspiring and leading me in the worship of my God.

1 comment:

Tim Lehrian said...

I was remembering that conference recently. Especially "Harpeth" and "Tattoos done while you wait." :)