Friday, July 14, 2006

Off Again

The ever unstable trip to Nebraska appears to be off again. This time by our decision. If you've been reading much of what I've written over the last four months or so, you'll know that we've really been trying to sort out whether we are supposed to stay in Sioux Falls or not. It has been a year of frustration, setbacks and disconnection that brought us to the point of exploring ministry options elsewhere. After a lot of looking and much prayer, we've decided to commit to Sioux Falls for at least one more year.

Amy was offered an adjunct voice teacher position at the University of Sioux Falls for the year, but a decision needed to be made pretty quickly as to whether she'd take it and what her hours would be. We knew the possibility was out there for her to get to teach, so we've had a bit of time to consider what we would do if it was offered. She's struggled with questions about where to tap into her gifts and passions as much as I have and I am thrilled for her that something presented itself. Now we're trying to figure out how to juggle schedules come September so that we don't have to put Maia in daycare since it's so expensive.

In addition to yet another new schedule, we also have found larger accommodations. The property management company that we're renting from now have a three bedroom house that will be available late next month for only $125 more than we're paying for our two bedroom duplex. It's not official as yet, but appears very promising.

God and I have conversed a bit over the last several months and there are a few particular things I've sensed Him saying that give me peace about staying in Sioux Falls. A constant theme that He's tried to impress on me is "patience." Not surprisingly, that isn't exactly what you want to hear in the middle of being stuck in a financial straight jacket and knowing that you should be building into something of significance. I remember over the winter hearing Him say, "Keep doing what you're doing. You're on the right path." Assuring, but not very practical.

A big thing that He said to me a month or so ago in regards to the job search was, "I just want to see whether you'll run or not when it gets hard." A tough word to swallow, but I've said all along that we want to be where God wants us to be and we trust Him enough to reveal what we need in times of decision. Now we get the chance to hang some action on our words.

I still don't know exactly where things are headed with ministry and vocation, but I feel at peace with waiting here a bit longer and continuing to try to learn patience. Who knows, eventually I might have some.

No comments: