Thursday, May 04, 2006

More movement and leaving on vacation

I can't believe the week is almost over. There's been a lot going on on the job front which has eaten up a lot of my time. Other than simply going to work at the shop, I applied for another ministry job near St. Paul, MN that looks like a possible fit for us. The Executive Pastor called me back the day that I sent my resume and we talked for awhile. He also sent me a long form application to fill out that wound up being about 10 pages long by the time I sent it back last night. The questions on it were good questions and I wanted to give thoughtful answers, so it took me several hours to get that sent back. They seem to really want to move the process along and may even call this weekend for a phone interview. The hope is that they will have somebody in place in the next four to six weeks.

I also received a call from the third staff person at a church in Nebraska last night. We had a good conversation and they seem pretty serious about continuing the conversation as well. He told me that the process was moving along and that I might even hear back from them about what some possible next steps might be.

In the meantime, I've been putting in 8-9 hours at the shop each day (M-F) and have been building a fair amount of bikes. I'm getting faster, building better and even had my first chance to get my hands on a road bike yesterday. I had, jokingly, asked Lee the other day when I might get a chance to build a road bike and he had said it probably wouldn't be long. I mentioned it to Dave yesterday morning and he said that if I'd grab one, he'd walk me through it. It wasn't too different from building the other comfort/hybrid and mountain bikes that I've been doing, so I was able to do it without as much help as I thought I'd need. A road bike is a little more temperamental and intricate than most of what I've been working on, but I feel fairly competent with it.

On Saturday, I get to take a break from building bikes and may actually get to ride one a bit more as we head for Marion, IN for a week or so. We're going to visit friends and our church family at Hanfield. This is a trip we've been looking forward to for months and we can't wait to see everybody. It promises to be a busy week on our social calendar.

We're also probably going to devote a little time and attention to seeing what can be done with our house there. It's been on the market for over a year and we haven't had anything resembling a serious offer yet. We tried renting it a few months back, but were unsuccessful in finding someone who wasn't a smoker or didn't want to use the house to let a loved one die in while we tried to continue selling (I wish I was joking). That house is seriously draining us financially and something needs to happen with it soon.

No comments: