Friday, April 15, 2005

Sioux Falls contact

Just got off the phone with Derk Stevenson in Sioux Falls. Derk is a former Vineyard pastor who is currently involved in itinerant ministry teaching about healing and the gifts of the Spirit. It was a good conversation. I'm glad to have had a chance to touch base with him and find out a little more about what he does, what the group in Sioux Falls is like and share with him about the calling that we feel to artists in Sioux Falls.

The group that is interested in a Vineyard church plant is about 15 strong that meets as a home group but attends a few different churches. I'm looking forward to getting a chance to meet a few of them and see what develops. I haven't totally closed the door to the possibility of being a lead pastor, but I really feel I need to make sure that it's something that God is calling me to. The prospect of a "tent making" job and the responsibilities of leading a church plant might make it difficult to do the ministry to artists that I'm really sensing is what God is calling us to. The bigger idea that is currently scaring me (in a healthy way) is the idea that the two ministries would be connected (i.e. the ministry to artists leads into pastoring a church plant). A true vision should be too big for you. If you feel like you can handle it, it probably isn't God.

More to sleep on I guess.

No comments: