Wednesday, April 27, 2005

How Deep am I?

This is more a musing than anything important, but I find myself wondering from time to time how deep I really am. Is this something that we can really know for ourselves? Judging by the responses I get from some people, I would consider myself fairly deep. But I know myself. I know how mundane most of my thoughts are. Not deep stuff. Then I find myself wondering if I'm deeper than I think I am. I mean, my deepest thoughts are common to me. Does that familiarity mask the quality of my thinking?

I remember being on a discussion panel for a worship conference where I presented the idea of knowing the spiritual gifts of my worship team members so that the function they served in a team was consistent with their spiritual gifting. I mentioned a few practical examples of how this had been used in our ministry with great results. You'd have thought I had made some revolutionary discovery based on the response of the people in that session. The idea of using people within a worship team according to their spiritual gifts was common to me, but a whole new way of thinking for them.

I don't think I'll ever be able to answer the question, but it is a fun thing to mull over that, ultimately, doesn't really matter.

No comments: