Saturday, September 25, 2004

Reflections from 9.24.04 prayers

As I was praying yesterday I asked God where I needed to focus my attention in my quiet time of prayer and study. I was on the bike at the time riding between Jonesboro and Fairmount at a pretty healthy pace and I was somewhat surprised at how quickly the Lord seemed to answer.

The first thing He impressed upon me was the need to continue to learn to hear His voice more clearly. It seemed somewhat humerous since I had been praying along those lines for a few weeks pretty intently and here was a clear communication about needing clear communication. I prayed for discernment to be able to tell if this was really the Lord or just my mind making a connection to a possible answer that He might give. I prayed for any other voices to be stilled other than that of God and He confirmed what He had been telling me. I'm recognizing a greater need to be Spirit-led in what I do and a need for awareness to the needs of the people around me.

The next thing He impressed upon me was the need to study Scriptures having to do with everyday living. I tend to focus on Scriptures that help me expand my understanding of God's character which, in turn, fuels my worship. What God was telling me was that the way I have been doing it is good and valuable to me as a lead worshipper for a congregation, but that if I am serious about developing more of a shepherd's heart for lost people that I need to have a better understanding of the relevance of Scripture to their everyday existence. This seems like a pretty straight ahead direction and I'm looking forward to seeing what God has in mind for me.

No comments: