Monday, November 17, 2008

Choice Day

I had a chance to go to Xander's school and do a "choice day" activity about bikes. Choice Day is an opportunity for kids to sign up for different activities that are led by ACE (All City Elementary) parents. Each activity is open to 2 kids from each class and they have to commit to it a few weeks in advance.

The challenge for me was that my activity involved me brining both of my bikes, Xander's bike (We the People Bold 18"), my work stand, snacks and swag. I was hoping to get in a few minutes before the activity to get set up, but the classroom was still full of kids, so I brought it in and set it in the hall. I think it took me four trips to get everything. Once the kids were released to their activities, I finally had a chance to set up with the kids already there.

I started out with a presentation on issues facing our world like obesity, pollution and access to clean water and talked about how the bike is a simple solution to these complex problems. I took my cue from John Burke (President of Trek Bikes) for this section and added a few things of my own. The hard part was making it applicable to kids from kindergarten to fifth grade.

After that, we talked about how we can have different kinds of fun on different kinds of bikes. We talked about the differences in the three bikes that I brought with (BMX, single speed mountain and road) and how each bike can be ridden. We talked a little about safety and I showed them how to properly size a road/mountain helmet and a BMX helmet. We talked a little about maintenance in regards to tire pressure (how to check and fill) and chain care. The kids were able to get a little hands on with the pressure gauges and bike pumps and asked a lot of good questions.

We then broke for snacks and I handed out swag that had been provided by Trek Bikes (socks, buttons, stickers, pencil bags made of recycled inner tubes) and Scheels (water bottles and MirraCo promo posters). I was fairly happy with how it went and know a few things that I would do different if I were to do it again. I think the fact that we ended with snacks and a lot of free stuff for the kids to take home made it a hit with them.

For more info on bike advocacy and how the bike addresses problems from obesity to global warming, visit Trek's advocacy site www.1world2wheels.org.

1 comment:

University Center Sioux Falls said...

How cool is that! Perhaps you have the framework for a non-profit :) I know what you are thinking "enough with the non-profits!" The thing is, when you get as big as United Way, you don't have to do anything iexcept drink daiquiris and wash the sun set over the ocean :)

Way to inspire the younger generation!

Aaron