Sunday, November 02, 2008

Brief Sports Rant

I have watched more Cowboys and Giants games this year than all of my favorite teams combined. Not that there's anything wrong with the Cowboys and Giants mind you, but neither team is remotely regional and there have been numerous times where either team has been featured when the Broncos were playing a late game on another network that was showing some crappy, third rate sport was shown instead. They have been pre-empted by beach volleyball (only watchable during the olympics), rodeo (sorry Marilyn) and today's offering "slamball" (really!!!???).

My beef is somewhat with the network, but mostly with our local CBS affiliate who decided to claim Kansas City as our local market instead of Denver after YEARS of Broncos football. It used to be that Chiefs fans had to put up the rabbit ears and pull a signal from Sioux City to watch the Chiefs, but now we get to watch their cover-your-eyes-awful team play as the local franchise. Granted, the Broncos haven't been much to brag about either and are currently struggling against Miami, but at least they have a winning record.

In the past, I would work around the non-airing of Broncos games by tuning in online to their local radio affliliate and listen to streaming audio for free, but the NFL shut that down two years ago and now I'd have to pay to even listen to them. Direct TV's monopoly-esque Sunday Ticket is not the ticket for me either because of the cost. We don't even have cable, opting instead for broadband internet.

Of course part of the issue is my work schedule as well. I am scheduled every other weekend, although I only wind up working one Sunday a month. I know of at least two Broncos games that I've missed due to work this season and I wind up missing the Vikings almost every weekend that I work (they are the local Fox affiliate's NFL franchise).

Oh well. I guess I'll take a nap through the rest of the current NFL sweethearts' matchup. Giants/Cowboys... I couldn't care less.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

...and your horrid, cover-your-eyes Chiefs managed to let my Bucs pull one out of their rear ends against them. Sorry you have to watch that, man...